Do you suffer from:
- Runny or congested nose
• Watery and itchy eyes
• Frequent ear infections
• Sinus headaches
• Conjunctivitis (eye irritation)
• Muscle/joint pain
• Skin rashes and eczema
• Mental problems such as confusion, slow thinking, depression and forgetfulness
• Respiratory effects including endless colds, chronic cough, recurrent bronchitis
Chances are you are suffering from allergies!
Do you suffer from:
- Tingling or itching in the mouth
• Hives, itching or eczema
• Swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat or other parts of the body
• Wheezing, nasal congestion or trouble breathing
• Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
• Dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting
Chances are you are suffering from food allergies!
TRUE or FALSE:
- Allergies affect approximately 35.9 million people in the USA (about 11% of the population).
- Approximately 10 million people in the US suffer from Allergic Asthma (about 3% of the population).
- About 6% of US children under age 3 suffer from food allergies.
- Peanut/tree nut allergies affect 3 million Americans, or 1.1% of the population.
True! True! True! All the above statements are true.
An allergy is an overreaction of the immune system to an inappropriate stimulus, such as dust, grass, pollent, mold, pet dander, etc. The immune system believes it is being invaded by a parasite rather than a harmless allergen in the environment, and therefore it rallies its defenses to fight off the enemy.
Allergies can be very debilitating to an individual. Patients can suffer seasonal or year round allergies. Food allergies can result in daily hives, rashes, and diarrhea creating intense fatigue, exhaustion, and limited functionality.
AVOIDANCE: This is always the first course of action…avoid things that make you allergic. This approach is not always practical or desirable. For instance, you may be able to remove offending plants from your home but pollen can travel up to 50 miles, so you are always vulnerable to trees, flowers and weeds from your neighborhood and city. Animals that cause allergies may be taken away but their dander can remain in your home for up to six months. If you visit a home with pets, their hair sticks around even if they are not present. Even thorough efforts to clear your home of allergens can fall short against relentless household dust, cockroaches or hidden mold. Therefore, avoidance is a major challenge and it can significantly impact your quality of life (especially if you like the animals, trees and flowers that cause your allergies).
Treatment options for allergies can vary. Daily ingestion of honey from local bee farms has shown subjective improvement in people. Treatment options can range from antihistamine medications (Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra, Clarinex, Xyzal), to intranasal steroid sprays (Flonase, Nasacort, Nasonex, Veramyst, QNASL), to leukotriene inhibitors (Singular) to immune therapy.
The goal of virtually all prescription and over-the-counter allergy medications is to stop allergy symptoms temporarily. They do nothing to relieve the CAUSE of your allergies, which is why your misery returns every time you encounter allergens your body doesn’t like.
Immunotherapy is a natural allergy remedy. It’s a process that desensitizes your body to allergens by introducing them to your body, via serum, in small doses. As treatment progresses, the amount of these allergens (also known as antigens) in the serum increases so your immune system learns to tolerate and then ignore them, making you a much happier person during allergy season!
There are two types of immunotherapy: shots and sublingual (under the tongue) drops. Both are effective.
Allergy Shots: have been used successfully to treat allergies in the U.S. for decades. Healthcare providers administer the shots in their offices on a regular basis, often weekly or bi-weekly.
Allergy Drops: and their popularity has been on the rise recently. In the comfort of your home, you simply place a few drops of serum (the same serum used in allergy shots) under your tongue every day. You only need to visit your healthcare provider every 12 weeks for a refill and a quick follow-up. By your first follow-up, you’ll likely notice a marked improvement. Within a few months you should realize a significant reduction in the need for allergy medications.
Benefits of Allergy Drops
- Natural and extremely safe
• Noticeable relief within just two months of starting treatment; many patients improve in as little as a few weeks
• Painless — no shots or needles
• Eliminate the need for excess trips to the doctor’s office, thus saving lots of time and money
• Effective for everyone from young children to seniors
• Long-lasting results – possibly for your entire life
Don’t waste any time. Let’s stop sneezing, stop coughing, stop itching your eyes, and stop feeling congested with these awful headaches and ear pressure.
Call Prosperity Internal Medicine and make your appointment today, (703) 876-9300 or visit our website at www.prosperitymedicine.com